Fast forward to April. With the help of Brayden's pediatrician we found a program called S.H.I.E.L.D. (South Hennepin Interagency Early Learning and Development.)
A couple ladies came to our home and did a speech and behavior evaluation to see if he needed and qualified for special services. It was a nightmare. Brady didn't want to cooperate and spent the majority of the time screeching at the top of his lungs, throwing tantrums, hitting and pulling hair. His lack of ability to follow simple verbal requests placed his receptive language skills at that of a 3-6 month old. I was relieved when they told us somebody from the school district would be contacting us for another evaluation. Finally, he'll be getting some help :)
A couple weeks ago we took Brayden to Southwood Center. From what I understand, Southwood is a school soley for special needs children. Based off of the 2 evaluations they did, they believe he is on the autismn spectrum as well as having a sensory disorder. We have an IEP meeting on Thursday and I am excited for him to start his therapies. As of now it sounds like he will be going 3 times a week. I can't wait to see all the progress he will be making.
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment